SAN BRUNO, Calif., Dec. 20, 2011 /NEWS.GNOM.ES/ — Walmart (NYSE: WMT) today announced the launch of its popular VUDU entertainment service on Xbox 360. Xbox LIVE customers can now shop VUDU’s library using new, interactive features such as voice search, voice control and Kinect gesture commands to rent or own the latest Hollywood hits, TV shows, cinema classics and independent gems in standard or high definition. To encourage customers to try VUDU on Xbox, VUDU is offering a $4.99 credit toward their first rental or purchase. Also, through today only (11:30 p.m. PST) at Walmart.com, customers can get free shipping to home on Microsoft Xbox 360 consoles, games and accessories and still receive in time for Christmas.
Kinect for Xbox 360 offers customers the ability to become the controller, using their body and Bing voice search to browse VUDU’s expansive catalog, and their voice to play, pause, fast forward or rewind content. Because VUDU is a cloud-based service, content purchased via the Xbox LIVE service is viewable on other VUDU-enabled devices or platforms including game consoles, Internet-connected Blu-ray players and HDTVs, tablets, computers, Walmart.com and more. Also, content purchased on any of these platforms can be viewed on the Xbox LIVE service.
“VUDU on Xbox 360 brings more fun into finding, watching and buying your favorite movies and TV shows,” said Edward Lichty, general manager, VUDU. “With the new, interactive features on Xbox 360 to browse VUDU’s library, along with special savings like 99-cent VUDU rentals, we hope to make the holidays even more entertaining and affordable for families.”
“Our partnership with VUDU marks a significant milestone in our vision to bring you all the TV entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy,” said Pete Thompson, General Manager, Xbox LIVE. “By bringing VUDU to the Xbox LIVE service and adding the magic of Kinect, we are transforming the way consumers experience entertainment forever.”
VUDU End-of-Year Savings
As families gear up to watch their favorite movies and TV shows together this holiday, VUDU is offering big end-of-year savings and digital exclusives. Examples include:
- 99-cent rentals including Jingle All the Way starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints starring Robert Downey, Jr.
- Early digital availability of Moneyball starring Brad Pitt and Abduction starring Taylor Lautner.
- 50%+ savings on holiday favorites like Christmas with the Kranks, The Holiday and This Christmas.
- Season 1 episodes (to date) of Pan Am free
- Every first episode from all BBC America seasons for just 99 cents each.
Free Shipping on Xbox 360 Consoles, Games and Accessories
At Walmart.com, customers can save more on Xbox 360 with free shipping to their home, local Walmart store and participating FedEx Office locations. More is available at http://www.walmart.com/cp/Free-Shipping/1088989.
- Home Free – through today only (11:30 p.m. PST), customers can order online and receive free shipping to home on Microsoft Xbox consoles, games and accessories in time for Christmas.
- Site to Store – order online and receive free shipping to a Walmart store within 5-10 days.
- FedEx Site to Store – order online and receive free shipping to participating FedEx Office locations. This service in now available in more than 650 FedEx Office locations in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Miami, Cincinnati and Columbus.
- Pick Up Today – order store items online for same-day pickup at a Walmart store
Expanded VUDU Library
VUDU’s recently expanded catalog features newly added TV shows from CBS, Comedy Central, HBO®, MTV, National Geographic, Nickelodeon and SHOWTIME® as well as blockbuster movies, Hollywood classics and independent films. Now, more than half of VUDU’s library is available in high definition, and VUDU also delivers a cinema-like experience with vibrant-streaming HD and rich Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound.
Customers can access VUDU using their Xbox LIVE Gold subscription as well as their existing Xbox billing credentials without the need to enter a separate credit card. For more information, go to www.walmart.com/vudu or www.vudu.com.
A leader in HD streaming, VUDU offers the world’s largest selection of HD movies, including thousands of blockbusters, Hollywood classics and indies available in stunning HDX 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound. Movies are available the same day they are released on DVD or Blu-ray, and can be rented or purchased without a subscription. VUDU is available on Internet-capable HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc players from FUNAI Electronics (Magnavox, Sylvania), LG Electronics, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, SANYO, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba and VIZIO, and on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system from Sony. VUDU is a wholly owned subsidiary of Walmart Stores, Inc., and is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. For more information, visit http://www.vudu.com/.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,700 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.